Pages

Thursday, October 22, 2015

Gay Marriage

     Gay marriage was legalized in the United States on June 27, 2015.  This blog post will be one where I explain my thoughts on something.  So, if you are curious to hear my opinions about this, stick around.  It was actually really interesting that day for me.  This is because I found out that gay marriage was legalized while at a kitchen table with my very religious and old-school grandmother (you can assume her opinion) and my twenty two year old sister who lives in San Fransisco (once again, take a guess). Right once my dad told us the good news, my grandmother went into a huge rant about basically how the world was ending.  This lead to a three day debate between my grandmother and my sister. But today, I am not going to talk about that debate, I am going to discuss my own opinions.


Just so we are clear, I personally support gay marriage





     In my opinion, and many others' as well, a problem will be solved when everyone is happy.  And from that perspective, some could consider gay marriage to be a problem due to the lack of satisfaction from everyone.  When I say this, I am talking about older people (usually above 65), religious people, and some times both (like my grandmother). I am looking for a solution for the future, and considering older people's "state", I am basically going to disregard them. This means that the biggest population of people that consider gay marriage a problem are those who are religious. My dad and I have found what we believe to be a pretty good solution.

     Correct me if I am wrong, but the word "marriage" originally was a religious term that was defined as two people being joined together under god. In our modern day, most people do not think of it that way.  Most people are getting married whether they are religious or not.  To those people, "marriage" is not much more than a word to describe there love for their counterpart. But for those who are strictly religious, marriage still means by the church and under god. This raises some problems. I would bet that MOST homosexuals are either not religious or are very lightly religious. But, for those who are, this solution will not be applicable.

     I know people that have been together for as long as I can remember, but have not gotten married because they do not want to be joined under god.  This gave me an idea. What if those wanted to be joined under the church could be and those who didn't want to be joined by the church could still do so.  I call it civil unionization.  Those who do not want to be "married" by the church can be joined through the government and can have the same legal benefits as modern day marriage. Those who are religious can be both be joined by the government and the church.  The religious part of the joining should still be called marriage to maintain the original definition

     This is a similar system to the one they have in Mexico and I believe it could easily be applied to the United States. Let me know in the comments what you think.

.                                       This picture was taken by my sister in San Fransisco.

I'll keep you updated.

2 comments: